Thursday, February 2, 2012

pieces & memories




For some reason January always feels infinitely long to me.  This January was a little longer and a lot harder than most, as my grandma passed away a couple of weeks ago.  There is a lot of sadness of course that comes with that, and missing her.  I am, however, also incredibly grateful for 28 years of moments with her... all of the hours spent following her around the garden, playing Scrabble after dinner and quietly reading together in her living room are precious memories to have.  I appreciate that many of my hobbies are informed by my time with her, and it's comforting to have those shared interests.  I'm also especially grateful for everything that Gramma did for her family and for the true kindness, grace and generosity that she showed to those around her.
The photos above are pieces from my grandma's house that now keep me company in my workspace while I plod away at homework, tackle unfinished Dove Tree projects and ponder post-grad plans...
There's a lot to look forward to.
(And hey, today's not so bad either).
So let's get goin' February!
K.









2 comments:

K said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma...I lost two grandmas in one week this summer (well, one was my boyfriend's grandma, but I really wished she was mine too; she was pretty awesome), and it always makes things seem long and lonely. Looks like a few grandma keepsakes in the workspace will be a good way to keep her with you :)

Kari said...

Thanks K... Sounds like you and I need to adopt ourselves a couple of Nanas :) Grandma's are special people for sure, I'm so thankful to have known her. And you're right, the keepsakes are lovely reminders!