Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Stockpiling the Greens


I'm a little Miss Green Thumbs... I come by it honestly, with a farmer dad and a gram who can turn a begonia into a shrub (this is hardly an exaggeration).  These pics are from the indoor 'greenhouse' I currently have going on in my dining room.  This has got to have been one of the weirdest springs on record, weather-wise anyway.  It's been everything from hot to cold to snowing this May.  I'm a patient gardener though... I don't usually let myself get too into it before June 1st - just because the climate here is so insanely dodgey some springs.  
My absolute favorite thing about spring is getting my hands in the dirt and container gardening.  I love it.  LOVE.  I'm not a huge 'flower' gal, my planters are almost strictly foliage.  This year I'm going to choose one variety of BRIGHT orange flowers (to match my hammocks) to throw into the foliage mix and maybe some Blue Salvia as well - otherwise, it's going to be Coleus-heavy with a variety of other foliage plants for texture and shape.  
Latte, homework and then a rainy night in with Jenna-Loo... Sounds like an okay kinda day to me!
K.

4 comments:

Megan Hildebrand said...

Hahahha. Oh the gram's comment made me laugh out loud. It's true. I'd love some of her mad skills. :) don't get lost in that forest woman!

Kari said...

I'll try to make it out alive :)

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

I really need to do an herb garden on my patio. It's too sunny not to.

Kari said...

That sounds like a perfect reason to get going on an herb garden, Tanya! I always do one on my patio too - fresh mint is my favorite :) Mmm, mojitos anyone?! Haha!