Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ballet + Couture = Inspired




         
source
Yesterday I took a bit of a holiday (in lieu of Louis) since I kinda skipped out on the holiday Monday that most of the rest of ya'll enjoyed.  It was loaded with about as many of my favorite things as can fit into a single day: coffee, fashion show, thrifting, coffee, spin/work-out and late evening supper.
I did sandwich the very best part right in there.
I spent the afternoon at the Royal Winnipeg Ballet (RWB) fashion show, put on to exhibit the costumes for the up-coming production of "Wonderland" and to announce the next season.  Wonderland runs March 9th-13th and is based on Lewis Carroll's 1865 novel, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.  As described in the re-amble to the runway show, the intent of the production is to study the parallels we draw between Alice and ourselves and to explore how we each create our own wonderland.  It really seemed to be the type of production their costume designers must dream of working on - the perfect opportunity to blend in couture and let the imagination run wild.
The runway show was staged in the atrium of the concert hall, an intimate setting with limited seating.  (As in, my knees were pretty much up against the edge of the runway - thank-you giraffe legs).  It was kinda incredible to be in such close quarters with some of Winnipeg's big talents in design, dance and media.  The show itself had great energy - the dancers worked as the models and brought the personality of their characters to the runway with them.  Couple the performance with the excitement of media, camera flashes and a crowd who truly appreciated the costuming... all-in-all, a successful, refreshing and totally motivating way to spend the afternoon.  
I'm still not sure how or why I was invited, but it was just what I needed to push me to divvy up my time a little more fairly between the painting and sewing projects.  I'm realizing that maybe I need to work on my multi-projecting skills just a little bit more...
Here it goes people.
K.

5 comments:

K said...

That would've been AMAZING!! Soooo lucky.
Also, I love the third picture you posted, so beautiful. I might have to draw it. Oh to be tall, thin, strong, and talented enough to be a ballerina :)

Kari said...

Oh man, I know, I know - it would be sa-weet to be a ballerina! I was asked if I was one of the dancers yesterday - had to actually laugh out loud - obviously I was sitting at this point because if he knew how very much too tall and ungraceful I am there is NO WAY he would've asked! Haha, maybe in my dreams I could be a dancer :)

im zoe said...

Such stunning images!! I have family in winnipeg my sister moved there arounf 5 years ago form the UK.
I did ballet a a girl and look ind at those beautiful images make me wish i stayed at it!! even if i did ony go for 3 years at the age of 2 :)

Zoe

http://blessedbeeapothecary.blogspot.com/

Kari said...

Thanks for the comment Zoe! I've always thought ballet was just about the most beautiful thing... sigh ;)

K said...

TOO tall Kari?? Is that possible when you're a dancer? I think you'd be just about right for it. How's your en pointe these days? ;)