Monday, November 29, 2010

Holiday Traditions...

TOP TEN:


1. Deckin' the tree.  I'm one of those compulsive decorators - everything must happen in a certain order and each step must be perfecto before I'll move to the next.  This is probably why I do up the tree on my own!


2.  Watching copious holiday movies, usually in pyjamas or other comfies, and almost always snuggled up under a blanket on the couch with sister.  A couple of my favorites to watch this time of year are Elf (of course), Winter Passing (not really festive, but go with it), and let's round it off with a classic, It's a Wonderful Life.  I do realize that two of these films feature Zooey Deschanel - I love her.  True love.  


3.  While we're talking Zooey, let's throw in some Christmas tunes - How 'bout her rendition of 'Baby It's Cold Outside' (Elf)?  Holiday music is a must.  I'm not really into the cheesy pop-star versions, it's gotta be more traditional for me.  Think Ella & Bing and you've got me pegged.
4.  Brunch on Christmas morning.  This one includes my extended family on my mom's side.  These boys have always been more like brothers than cousins, and now their girly 'others' are also part of that greatness.  This is when we all spend the day relaxing together, drinking coffee and eating all sorts of great breakfast foods and appies.  The best, just the best.
5.  Chilly walks in the snow around my sleepy little town.  Things kinda shut down early here in winter, and as long as I'm bundled up, a frosty stroll downtown makes me a happy girl.


6.  Taking silly pics with sis on Christmas Eve.  EVERY year, for as long as I can remember, Ma has made us pose for a photo by the tree or the fireplace.  And EVERY year, Kimmy and I pull out a goofy face at the last second.  You would think she'd learn ;)
7.  Parties, festive drinks, gatherings, friends... just getting together.  Why don't we do it up like this all year?
8.  Cozy nights with a book by the tree, fireplace cranked... hot chocolate in-hand.  


9.  Selecting, wrapping and giving gifts.  I'm not into extravagant, but I am always choosy and want to be sure to pick something personal... and then I wanna wrap it up so it looks darling sitting under the tree.  Bows and ribbons, oh my!


10.  Dressing up.  In dresses.  Anyone who knows me, or has read more than one post on this blog, has likely already put this together: I LOVE DRESSES.  I love everything about them, and I can never pick just one for the holiday season... nope.  I'll share my picks for this holiday season as I wear them, starting this weekend with dress #1 - to be worn to a friend's work holiday party.  Fun!

What are your favorite holiday traditions?  
K.

--- WOW!  I am overwhelmed at the kind words and comments from those of you who are already entered in the 100th Post Giveaway.  Thank you so much everyone!  I will be leaving the draw open for entries until midnight on Wednesday.  If you haven't already, just leave a comment on this post with your first name and last initial.  Thanks again people!

6 comments:

Carmelle said...

Love all your Christmas traditions! The Christmas Eve pics with your sister are awesome...but wow, you could guys be any more gorgeous?! I think not!

Kari said...

Aw, you're too sweet Carmelle! Thanks so much :)

hollysarah said...

that scallop dress is *so* pretty. wow.

Holiday traditions are a big deal to me. We drive around on Christmas eve and check out everyone's lights, and see how many trees we can see lit up in the windows. Christmas eve night if for chicken wings, cheesecake, and lattes with my in-laws, and Christmas morning is a huge brunch at my mom's.. she always has Kenny G playing, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
We're starting a new tradition this year with my little family. We've invested in a beautiful handmade Indonesian advent calender, and I'm looking forward to using it, and it holding little notes and surprises for Ryan and Simon. This is my favorite time of year.

Kari said...

Thanks for sharing Holly - I love that you guys are starting your own traditions with your kiddos, that is best! My favorite holiday memories from my childhood are of the things my mom did with us kids every year... advent calendars and count-downs included - So fun. I hope you guys have the very best holiday season and enjoy watching Simon light-up every time he gets a note or treat in his advent calendar :)

Jenna said...

do you know what i love?
those sisters

Kari said...

He he, thanks Jenna - those sisters return that lovin' ;)