Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Workspace: Before & After

 Before: As you can see from these 'before' photos, this place was pretty cluttered.  I'll admit, I'm a stacker.  Stack of sketchbooks, stack of magazines, stack of fabric.  I do love a good stack, but this was getting out of hand.  Nothing had a permanent home and the room became more of a catch-all for the craftiness than a workspace.  But, this room also has some great features, such as the wood plank floor, high ceilings, original woodwork and beautiful windows.  Really, aside from puttying the plaster walls, it was pretty easy to whip into better shape.  

(The door in this first photo is not the entry, but actually a closet that is also home to the attic staircase.)






After: Aside from the drafting desk, I hauled every last thing out of the room and into the spare bedroom across the hall... putty, paint and some help from Ikea in the storage department and it's become a well-functioning, well-organized place for me to spend my days.  There are still some piles, but at least they have a home in the shelving unit now.  And hey! There's a possibility that I will eat supper on my dining room table in the near future (if I clean up the painting projects that have taken over the sewing machine's former home)...







There are lots of details in this space that I would love to share - so look for some of those in Thursday's post (sources, DIYs, etc).  I *might* post on the artwork in here too, and some of the other pieces I've worked on in the last couple of weeks, if I can get over the self-conscious factor.  Maybe...

It's all errands this morning: supplies to pick up for a commission, thrifting for some vintage lace, etc.  Then home for a latte and sewing in front of my sunny windows... Lovely.

K.

--- I'm playing around a bit with the look of the blog, so bear with me while the kinks get worked out!  I'm still planning to tweak a few things (banner and sidebars included).  For now, photo cred. to Russ Dueck for the banner photography and left sidebar photo! 




9 comments:

Nikki said...

Beautiful!

Becky said...

Jealous! I love those Ikea cubes! I want them in my studio...but hubby says I can't have anything new in there till I start to use it....dang. I just wanted them to make the room look pretty! lol.

Anonymous said...

I love the IKEA shelf with desk! Looks like a very efficient space, nice job!

Definitely looking forward to seeing details of the artwork :)

Kaeleigh

Kari said...

Thanks Nikki!

Becky - you gotta tell the huz that you can't use the studio until it's organized... and it won't be organized unless Ikea is involved. THEN you'll start to use it :) hehe.

And Kaeleigh - I'm trying to gear myself up for that! C'mon, right?!

Kim said...

it looks great!! :)

Colin said...

Where are all the cables and computer screens?

Anonymous said...

By the by...is the font that Dove Tree is written in off of the Jellyka site?
If it is...one of my tattoos has that same font :) Love it!

Kaeleigh

Kari said...

Why Kaeleigh... I believe that it is :) I love it too! What does your tattoo say?

Matchless Vision said...

I am glad I stumbled upon a sewer! I am starting to get into myself. I can't wait to explore more of your blog and projects!

http://matchlessvision.blogspot.com/